Free Clear Path To Job Growth Workbook!
Ready for job growth? Get on the list.
In this 4-week series, #ClearPathToJobGrowth, I’m going to lead you through a step-by-step guide to the 4 things you need to get the job growth you’re looking for.
Here’s what’s coming up:
1. Motivation: How to Find the Motivation to Go for Growth (Get Of Your Ass And Your Career In Gear)
2. A Plan: How to Get a Better Job? (Start With Defining "Better")
3. A Story: How to Sell Yourself Into the Job You Want (The 3 Things You Need to Have)
4. An Audience: Networking not working? (Start In Your Own Backyard)
How to Get a Better Job? (Start With Defining "Better")
You want a better job. Ok. Sure. But what in the world do you mean by that?
For the quiet copywriter in the corner, it might mean an agency that has free Lucky Charms in the kitchen. For the new-grad in media, it might mean a job that offers a clear promotion path.
You need to define “better” for yourself. To do that, you need to do a little math. I know, I know… uuuggghhhhh. It’s a simple formula though: X + Y + Z = Better Job
To Find X: You have to start by examining your core values. Have a real think. What are truly the most import things to you. If it’s money and success - that’s fine! Don’t censor yourself or list things you feel you ‘should’ be listing. Be honest and non-judgemental with yourself. Some questions you might want to ask yourself are:
▪ What are your top 5 priorities/values in life as you now understand them?
▪ Imagine you've just had an ideal week. What 3 things happened?
To Find Y: Examine your current sitch. There are reasons you’re unhappy and longing for a new job. But what are they exactly? What specific career challenges are causing the desire to look elsewhere? Try asking yourself:
▪ What job functions make you feel inspired / powerful / purposeful?
▪ What expertise do you want to exercise that you’re not getting a chance to?
▪ List up to five things that you feel are preventing you from moving forward / achieving your goals at your current job?
Speaking of goals…
To Find Z: Define your ultimate career goal. Not your “I don’t care, I just need out of here and into a new job” goal - but your, “In 5 years I want to be leading my own production department” goal.
Once you have a clear picture of your future self you can work backwards. You can reverse engineer what steps you will need to take, what jobs you will need to position yourself for, in order to make it happen.
If you already know what your goal is, and that’s why you’re frustrated - right on! If you have a less than vague idea of your ultimate goal you need to take some time to get a vision of what this might look like.
Try thinking of your future self, 5 years from today. What does her workday look like? What tasks and challenges is she taking on? What fulfills her and keeps her engaged?
Got it? Great. Now do the math:
core values + current state + defined goals = better job
All these pieces need to work together or you’ll find yourself in the same place you are now in short order. If your next gig, gives you the promotion you want, but you’re hawking a product you find morally repulsive - you’re not going to be happy for long. But if you go somewhere where the mission of the company lines up with your personal values AND you get to do tasks you enjoy? Bingo! Now… about those Lucky Charms….
Coming up next week: How to Sell Yourself Into the Job You Want (The 3 Things You Need to Have)
Ready for job growth? Get on the list!
Subscribe to get access to career goodness delivered straight to your inbox!